Tuesday, December 2, 2008

National Museum of the American Indian

After having gone to the US Botanic Garden in late September , I knew that was one of the first places I'd have to take Mom when she was visiting. We got there in time for a tour of the conservatory. Wow! Going through the conservatory was so much better with a tour guide. I learned a lot about some of the plants and how they're acquired as well as the history of the USBG itself. They had just recently started setting up for their holiday exhibit which includes their collection of National Mall landmarks made out of natural plant materials. The details are amazing. Here's the US Capitol. Notice the Statue of Freedom on top of the dome? I'm looking forward to going back when the Windows to Wonderland  holiday exhibit opens with all of the landmarks.

Remember in that previous post I mentioned the fountain at Bartholdi Park? Well, we found out that it was due to be removed for a two year renovation. In fact, at the time that I'm writing this, it is probably already gone. I'm so glad I got to see it when I did even if it didn't have water in it.

Our next stop was across the street to the National Museum of the American Indian. The museum was 15 years in the making, and just opened four years ago. I really love the entrance to the museum,  a circular atrium that can be used for performances (there weren't any performances going on when we were there though). Almost all of the walls curve. Even the exhibits flow from space to space with curved walls. Now that I think about it I don't remember seeing any corners anywhere. Besides exhibits on the history and culture of various Native American peoples, there is a section devoted to how several Native communities are living now in the 21st century and the challenges they face in trying to maintain their language and culture. There are thousands of artifacts representing Native peoples from Canada, the US, Central and South America. A lot to see in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment