Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Color of Money

Back in September when I went to the Washington Monument, I walked up to the ticket window around 1:00pm and was given a ticket for two hours later. I had heard that it was difficult to get same day tickets during the tourist season and so had figured that tourist season was slowing down. If it was slowing down the middle of September, it must be even slower in November, right?

Mom, Tín and I headed for The Mall and while they went into the Smithsonian Institution Building (aka the Castle), I walked over to the Washington Monument to pick up tickets. It was only around 11:00am and they were all out for the day! How could that be? I guess I got lucky back in September.

We were able to get in a tour at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing though. The tour started out with an informative video and then took us through the facility where we got to see blank sheets of paper turned into currency. It's a pretty amazing process. Did you know that you don't have to travel all the way to DC to see money being printed? You can also take a tour at the Western Currency Facility in Fort Worth, TX.

Here's Tín. Can you see how much he would be worth if he were a stack of $100 bills?

No comments:

Post a Comment