Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mount Vernon - Again

The weather service predicted a beautiful day so we headed to Mount Vernon. You might remember that I had just been there the week before. The drive down there was beautiful once again. While the trees were starting to drop their leaves some, the colors were still pretty amazing. It did turn out to be a beautiful day which made walking around the mansion, outer buildings and gardens so much nicer.

I think we spent the entire day there. Even though I've been there twice before I saw a lot of things I hadn't seen before. Or, was able to spend more time on things that I rushed through before. The first time there I walked through the Education Center and read most everything, but didn't stop to watch all the video presentations (I think there are more than a dozen). I think I was able to catch almost all of them this time. One area I hadn't noticed was a Hands-On Learning center for children. They had period dress-up clothes and a doll-house sized replica of the mansion for kids to play with. There were probably a lot of other things, but those caught my attention the most. Here are Mom and Tín as George and Martha Washington. You can tell the cutouts were for kids as their faces barely show through.

I'm hoping to make a quick trip there for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment