Sunday, March 22, 2009

Start Spreading the News...

we're leavin' today. Actually, we left on Friday.

For Christmas the kids got together and gave Rich and I a gift certificate for tickets to a Broadway show. We've been waiting for a free weekend to use it. Rich took Friday off from work and we drove up to New Jersey. We met his sister, Carol, and his brother, Joe, and their families for dinner.  I think we've seen more of Rich's family this past year than we have in the previous ten. We just don't get out this way often enough. We'll have to make more of an effort after we move back to Albuquerque.

We stayed at a hotel in New Jersey near his sister's. On the other side of the parking lot is a bus station. This worked out perfect for us. In the morning we just walked across the parking lot and got on a bus that took us right to Port Authority. Here's Rich with a Ralph Kramden statue.



Our show was a matinee and so we had several hours to wander and walk around. I love New York. I think it's a wonderful city with so much energy. I don't know that I would want to live there, but I definitely would like to visit over and over again. Here I am at the LOVE sculpture . I so wanted to ask the hot dog vendor in the background to move his cart.



We ended up walking all the way to Cental Park. I had never been to Central Park before. While not exactly warm, it was a bright, sunny day and there were a lot of people out. We stopped and watched the skaters for a bit.



I didn't realize just how much area Central Park covers. It's huge! There are lots of bridges, and pedestrian paths that go over or under the streets that go through the park. This one is absolutely beautiful. I'm standing about in the middle looking in one direction. There is a fountain looking the other direction, but there was a very large school group completely blocking the way.





Still wandering we came across this Alice in Wonderland sculpture.




We eventually made it all the way to the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir.



At this point we needed to jump on the subway and head back to the theatre district for lunch and our show. We only saw a small fraction of the park and I hope to spend more time there on a future visit. I'll bet it's absolutely beautiful when the trees have leaves and flowers are blooming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment