Monday, March 30, 2009

Quilt Inspiration at the Basilica

At the end of my last post I mentioned sharing some more pics from the Basilica that I called "quilt inspiration." I don't remember where these first few pics were from (a chapel maybe?), but the entire marble floor was like a giant quilt sampler. I don't know why I didn't get a low angle pic so that you could see how it all went together. If I return, I'll make sure to do that. One look and you'll be convinced that the men who did these floors were married to quilters. =)





This is another marble floor. For this shot I was standing on my tiptoes holding my camera over my head and still couldn't get it all in one shot, but I think I got enough of it to get the idea.


Another marble floor pic taken high over my head and at an angle to get as much of it in the shot as possible.



This mosaic ceiling really caught my eye. I know it's not the clearest shot, but besides the main design in the ceiling I like the border around the arches as well.



See the triangles in the flat part of the arch? I'm pretty sure I've seen a quilt that looks just like that in those exact colors. Look at all the different stars. Perfect for a star sampler quilt.


How about this domed ceiling? Talk about stars!


I know this pic didn't come out so well. It reminds me of a Double Irish Chain with the background changing from light to dark.



And lastly, this was the ceiling in a corridor. Absolutely gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment