Friday, March 27, 2009

More Company!

Mom and Tín arrived day before yesterday to spend a couple of weeks with us. After coming for a two week visit in the fall, they realized that wasn't nearly enough time to see all the things they wanted to see so they're back again. We'll see how much we can get done in the next two weeks. Mom is recovering from knee surgery and is walking with a cane. I don't think that'll slow her down too much though.

It was a pretty chilly and windy day, but we can't stay home just because the weather doesn't want to cooperate can we. Chilly day, indoor activity. While walking to the National Museum of American History from the Metro station, we saw this group of little kids (daycare? preschool?) flying kites. They were having sooo much fun.


We were able to get a wheelchair for Mom at the museum so that she could rest her knee a bit. We didn't go through all of the museum, but we did see quite a bit of it. Since reopening in November I've been there a couple of times now and I still haven't been through all of the exhibits. One of the exhibits that we spent a bit of time in is America on the Move, a history of transportation in the US. It's a huge exhibit (26,000 square feet according to the website) that has so many objects and so much information. Cars, buses, trains, trolleys, the highway system... it's all covered. Here's Tín waiting in line for a trolley ticket.


While Tín went to The Price of Freedom: Americans at War (covers the history of our military from the French and Indian War to the present) which I'd seen before, Mom and I checked out First Ladies at the Smithsonian. Here's the inaugural gown worn by Rosalynn Carter.


I'm not sure why I liked this gown so much. I think because it feels so different from the other gowns that were on display.

There's a lot to see at the NMAH. I need to get back there at least one or two more times before I'll have seen all of the permanent exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment