Sunday, October 26, 2008

Santa Fe - "The City Different"

After pulling into my driveway, we didn't give Bob much time to stretch his legs before jumping in the car and heading to Santa Fe. At least he didn't have to drive and it only took about 45 minutes to get there.

Our first stop was lunch at Tomasita's. I've always loved Tomasita's but the last several times I've been there they've had incredibly long (sometimes over an hour!) wait times. We got there between the lunch and dinner rushes and still had to wait about 20 minutes. But, it was worth it. I love this mural in the waiting area. This wonderful light fixture is also in the waiting area. Notice the ceiling?

Next, we headed to Museum Hill. Bob wanted to go to The Museum of International Folk Art and see the Girard Collection. I don't know how many times I've seen this collection,   but there is so much to see that every time I go I see things I didn't notice  before. We would have stayed longer than we did, but they were closing and very politely asked us to leave.

Unfortunately, all the other museums were closed too. I've never been to The Museum of Indian Arts and Culture . I always spend too much time at one of the other museums and just have never made it to that one. I think next time I'm going to go there first. We did spend a little time looking at some of the sculptures in the plaza area. It's hard to get a sense of how large this kachina is, but I'd guess that it's about 15 feet tall or so. See the jingle bells around his knees? A bird had built it's nest in one. My close up pic of it didn't come out though.

We drove back to Albuquerque. It didn't take us very long. I don't know why I always think it should take longer than it does. Because of that I don't get up there but once or twice a year. When we move back home I'm going to make sure I go more often. I love Santa Fe. It really is "The City Different."

No comments:

Post a Comment