Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Plan B

The Mass Ascension that we had planned on going to was canceled due to weather. So, we slept in a little and went to Flying Star for breakfast. I think I've mentioned before that I love their breakfast burritos. They also have free WiFi and it gave Bob and I a chance to catch up on email and stuff. Since we were going to be gone for a year, Rich and I saw no reason to pay for cable and internet with no one there to use it. Of course that means that when either of us fly in for a bit, we have no internet and only get network TV. I digress.

With the whole day open, we decided to go to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center . I hadn't been there in almost 10 years. I hardly recognized it. The museum has been expanded. The gift shop has been expanded. A wing has been added for changing exhibits. A restaurant has been added. The entrance is completely different with landscaping and sculptures. Do you live in Albuquerque? Have you been recently? No? Go. Go now.

We saw the current exhibit, "Walatowa Sculptors: Shaping Our Stories ," featuring the works of six sculptors from the Jemez Pueblo. Walatowa is the traditional name for the Jemez Pueblo. The works included bronze, clay and stone. Some pieces were more traditional, some more contemporary, some combining elements of both. Some were just exquisite.

After a couple of hours there we headed over to Old Town.  I always enjoy walking around the plaza. Of course, it was really busy being a Balloon Fiesta weekend. Dad and Bob did a little souvenir shopping and we headed home to relax a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Man I miss Flying Star. Great coffee, killer desserts, and their Green Chili Turkey Club was INCREDIBLE.

    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And even on their busiest days you can sit and read the paper or check your email and not feel rushed.

    ReplyDelete