Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Finally, A Place to Sew

Wow! Has it really been a whole week since I last posted? Where has the time gone?

Rich was in San Diego last week. Instead of sight-seeing I did a little driving around to get my bearings. I needed to find a good grocery store. The nearest one to the apartment is about a half mile walk. That's not too bad, but it's really more of a cross between a grocery store and a convenience store. Higher prices, smaller selection. There are five checkstands, four of which say, "15 items or less" over them. I have never seen a cashier at the fifth register. It's great when you just need a couple of things, but not the kind of place I want to do my weekly shopping. So, I spent a couple of days looking for things we were needing (not just groceries, other things too).

The next thing I'm going to need to find (and soon) is a place to get my hair cut. That could be a little tricky. There's a place close by that is listed on the 'net as being "moderately priced" and they charge $55 for a shampoo/cut/style. Ouch! I usually get my hair trimmed every 3-4 weeks. I'm still looking.

I've been doing some hand appliqué in the evenings and have finished another block from Thru Grandmother's Window. This makes number eight. You can see them all here.

I finally have my sewing machine set up! When I was in Long Beach at the quilt festival, I ordered a SewEzi table knowing that I didn't have a place to set up my machine at the apartment. Rich had already seen the apartment and knew that I wouldn't be able to use the dining room table. It's a round piece of glass that sits on a pedestal. Just leaning on it with both arms while reading the paper makes the glass flip up on the opposite side. Definitely wouldn't support a sewing machine.

So, it got here last week and was a real snap to put together. Here it is all set up with my sewing machine:

But wait! Now, it's a cutting table:

And there's more! Now, it's a light box:

And, when I have company, it folds up flat and will fit under the bed very nicely in its own carrying case.

2 comments:

  1. But does it slice and dice???

    It sounds like you are settling in to city life. This quilt looks beautiiful so far. I am looking forward to seeing your progression. Have you found any Quilt shops near by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slice and dice? If only!

    I'll hopefully find some time next week to go to a couple of quilt shops. I haven't done that much driving and am still learning my way around. So, maybe I need to go to some quilt shops just as an excuse to drive and learn my way around the area. As good an excuse as any, right?

    ReplyDelete