Wednesday, September 17, 2008

An Exciting Day


What made yesterday so exciting? Did I see a wonderful new exhibit? Take a tour? No, my library card came in the mail! I love going to the library. There's one just a couple of blocks away. Guess where I'm going later this afternoon?

That "Putting the world within reach" had me looking for a little poem I've seen about libraries:
I've traveled the world twice over,
Met the famous; saints and sinners,
Poets and artists, kings and queens,
Old stars and hopeful beginners,
I've been where no-one's been before,
Learned secrets from writers and cooks
All with one library ticket
To the wonderful world of books.
~ Anonymous ~

I also found this quote:
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library. ~Jorge Luis Borges

A couple more about books and reading:
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.  ~Author Unknown

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.  ~Chinese Proverb

Had enough?  Here's the last one:

You may have tangible wealth untold;
Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
Richer than I you can never be -
I had a mother who read to me.
~Strickland Gillilan

Thanks Mom!



6 comments:

  1. Might enjoy these:
    http://www.useful-information.info/quotations/library_quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Audio Guy! There are some really good ones there. I actually had a list of about 15 or so, but didn't think anyone would actually want to read them all. Especially in a post about, uh, reading, and uh, books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A new adventure begins with a good book...and a glas of wine"
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good one, Anna. But, if you have a glass of wine...what do you need the book for again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh to reduce the background noise of my life; the children, the dogs and the laundry. Remember wine, chocolate and chile go with about everything.

    ReplyDelete