Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The View From My Balcony

Good News: I can see the Washington Monument and the dome of the US Capitol Building.
Bad News: There's construction going on a block away and a huge crane spoils the view.
Good News: It's only going to be a five story apartment building.
Bad News: We're on the fifth floor.
Good News: We are up the hill from the building and it shouldn't spoil the view when complete.
Bad News: It's going to take a year (maybe more) to finish.
More Bad News: We're only going to be here another 10 months.
Good News: The crane probably won't be in the way for all of that time.


Right now they are working below ground level on the parking garage. So there's a lot of work ahead. It's really not too bad and is kind of cool to watch the crane in motion. It is absolutely huge! I don't know how high it stretches up, but it must be at least 100 feet. The arm stretches out at least 70 or 80 feet and rotates in a complete 360 degree circle. After the first couple of days I noticed that the operator sits up in that little booth at the top. Hmm, how does he get up there? I was sure that there was some sort of platform elevator (like window washers use) kind of thing that took him up or down. Nope. One morning I happened to be looking out while eating breakfast and I saw him climbing up. I think that would be absolutely terrifying! Especially on a day like today where it's a little breezy.

I can't actually see the progress from my balcony because of the trees and buildings in the way. But I can see it from the roof. I'll have to remember to check it out occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment