Wednesday, April 1, 2009

National Museum of Women in the Arts

I'd been wanting to check out this museum since shortly after we moved here. I just hadn't seemed to get around to it. It was on Mom's list of things to do, so that worked out well. It's so much more fun to go to a place with someone else than by yourself. Well, someone else who also wants to go anyway.



The museum is housed in a building previously used as a Masonic Temple. It underwent extensive renovations and with white marble staircases and crystal chandeliers, it is just beautiful and so sophisticated inside.


I love this open space (I think it's called The Great Hall) with a mezzanine going all the way around.


I don't know the architectural term, but this was a panel in the ceiling.

The focus of the museum is to recognize the achievements of women artists. In addition to the permanent artwork that was on display, we also saw a couple of photography exhibits and an exhibit by American fashion designer Mary McFadden. I like that the artwork encompasses a lot of different media. I would have liked to have seen more sculpture and textile work. These have been featured in past exhibits, I just came at the wrong time.

No comments:

Post a Comment