Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Civil War at Ford's Theatre

Ford's Theatre just had a grand reopening in February after being closed for quite some time for renovations. The reopening was timed to coincide with the bicentennial of Lincoln's birth. There are a lot of special Lincoln exhibits and events going on to celebrate.

Instead of just taking a tour I wanted to get tickets to see a performance there. While Mom and Tín were here the musical The Civil War was going to be playing and I got tickets for all of us. It's not a musical that tells a story, but a series of songs inspired by the stories of people from the time - Union and Confederate soldiers, slaves, abolitionists and veterans.  The vocalists were phenomenal. The music is contemporary, performed by a band which sits prominently on the stage. It felt like going to a concert. Unfortunately, none of us really cared for it. I can't really put my finger on it, but it just left me lukewarm.

The theatre is beautiful. I think I will go back and take a tour before I leave. Here's a picture of the Presidential Box where Lincoln was assassinated.

No comments:

Post a Comment