Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Inauguration Day

When I first found out that I'd be spending a year in DC, I remember thinking about all the things I'd get to do while I was there. One day last July or August it hit me that I'd be there for Inauguration Day. Now, you have to remember that last July we didn't even know for sure who the party nominees were going to be let alone who would be elected President. I knew then that I'd be taking part in the inauguration festivities. Well, given the historic nature of this particular inauguration, there was no way that I was going to miss being there.


It was another freezing cold day so we stayed at the apartment as long as we dared. Live coverage on TV showed that things were filling up rather quickly. When we left, we knew the Metro was going to be packed and almost impossible to board, so we walked from the apartment, by the Iwo Jima Memorial, across Memorial Bridge and into the National Mall area. It's about two miles. In fair weather, it's actually a rather nice walk. We made our way to the World War II Memorial and staked out a fairly nice spot where we could see one of the jumbotrons.


Rich and I left Kathy and Dan there while we went to see if we could find a better spot near the Washington Monument. It was so packed with people that we almost couldn't get back out! Rich was able to get this picture. See the Capitol building way in the background? See the mass of people? We went back to the WWII Memorial.


It turned out to be a great spot. The way the memorial is shaped a lot of the wind was blocked and it felt so much warmer there. There was so much energy in the crowd. Even though people were freezing, they were excited and happy and, dare I say, hopeful.


This is a day that I will remember the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment