Sunday, April 1, 2012

March UFO

Back in 2007, my LQS in Albuquerque did this quilt as a Saturday Sampler. The name of the quilt is Ramblin' Rose Meets Jamestown. The quilt was designed by Marti Michell using her template sets. While it takes a bit more time to cut the pieces using the templates, I think you make up for it with how easy the pieces go together. Some of these blocks would have been very challenging with regular piecing, but with the templates they went right together. I have a couple of other quilts I'd like to make using the templates - someday. The sampler blocks were named to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Jamestown settlement - New Colony, Roanoke Island, John Smith, and Stormy Voyage, to name a few. I had no idea when I started this quilt that I'd one day be living in Virginia.

I got all my blocks made and even had all 24 of the log cabin blocks done by the end of that year. In early 2008, I assembled the blocks and that was as far as I got. For the UFO Challenge, my goal was just to get the borders on. I've also made the binding and have fabric set aside for the backing, but that's all I'll be able to do for a while. This is a king size quilt measuring 104" square. I have an older machine with a very small throat and there is just no way that I can fit a king size quilt in there to get it quilted. I hope to get a new machine in the next year or two. The quilt has been waiting this long, it can wait a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment