Monday, April 30, 2012

2012 Free Motion Quiltig Challenge - April


I'm really learning a lot from this challenge. This month's tutorial was by Don Linn. Don gave a video tutorial demonstrating how to transfer and mark designs. The first step was to choose a design. I chose to use the design that Don provided with the tutorial although any design could have been used. This looks like a simple design but there's a lot of backtracking in it. Another thing I need to practice.


 The next step is to stretch a piece of tulle in an embroidery hoop and trace the design onto the tulle using a permanent marker.


Here it is with just a blank sheet of paper underneath to make the design more visible. 


Then,  place the embroidery hoop with the marked tulle over your fabric and trace your design onto the fabric using your favorite marking pencil. I used a water soluble marker.


And, here is my sample after quilting and washing out the marker. 


I'm getting this done and submitted at the last minute, so I just did the basic design. I wanted to add some outline quilting and some background fill around it, but I'm barely getting this done in time so I didn't. 

I think this is a great technique, especially if you're wanting to mark a design multiple times on the same quilt. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SewCalGal! I really appreciate all the hard work you are doing to bring these tutorials/challenges to us. I haven't been able to spend as much time on them as I'd like, but even with the little bit that I've been doing I've gained so much confidence in my FMQ skills.

      Delete