Saturday, March 24, 2012

Cherry Blossoms 2012


 I think it's time for a "Places" post, don't you? I know it's been a while. This morning Rich and I got up very early to go see the cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin. I mean VERY EARLY. We were up and on the road before sunrise. We figured the earlier we went, the fewer people there'd be out and about. It takes less than 10 minutes to drive there, but parking anywhere near that area is difficult when the cherry blossoms are in bloom. Normally we'd have taken the Metro, but the nearest station to the Tidal Basin is about a mile away and we knew it was likely to rain. I didn't take too many pictures because it was misty and drizzly the whole time, but we had a really enjoyable time. The early morning mist gave an almost magical quality to an area that is usually teeming with tourists and not at all magical.


It was several days past the "peak bloom" time but there was still a spectacular show going on:


Everywhere I looked there was "pink snow" to be seen:


And I just loved how those little pink blossoms were stuck to everything:


As the morning went on more and more tourists were about and it was kind of fun watching the people who really know how to use their cameras (I'm not one of them) set up for those perfect shots:


I think I'm going to call this one Cherry Blossom Paparazzi:


Whenever I'm around the Tidal Basin I like to walk by the Floral Library which is maintained by the National Park Service. It changes quite a bit throughout the year. Right now, there are nearly 100 different varieties of tulips in bloom:


I especially loved these ones:


And these ones:


We were back home in time for breakfast and just before the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment