Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jewels of Light

The kids all left the morning of New Year's Eve. It was kind of odd to have this two bedroom apartment go from bustling with activity to dead quiet. I spent most of the day "recovering." I know they were all pretty tired from all the sight-seeing, but I was absolutely exhausted. I had to take a nap just so that I could get up before midnight to ring in the new year!

On New Year's Day, Rich and I went to the National Cathedral for an up-close tour called "Jewels of Light" which focuses on the stained glass windows. The tour guide pointed out the various styles, some traditional, some more modern. She chose a handful of windows to focus on and took us through a lot of the details that would have been lost on someone like me who knows next to nothing about the art of stained glass. She also talked a little about a few of the artists that designed and made some of the windows.


This isn't one of the windows that the tour guide talked about, but it's the only picture that came out. I'm still learning how to get good pictures in low light. They almost always come out kind of blurry for me no matter how still I hold the camera. It doesn't help that most of the windows are fairly high up so besides having trouble with the light, they're also not that close either.

There are a few other up-close tours I hope to make it to. The National Cathedral has to be one of my favorite places to visit here in DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment