Saturday, November 1, 2008

Woo-Hoo!

I didn't go to any Halloween activities last night. Instead I went to bed very early at 9:30pm. I had to get up at 5:30 this morning. Since I'm not a morning person you may be wondering what on earth is so important that I'm willing to get up at 5:30 on a Saturday morning. Well, you see this morning is when they were distributing the free tickets for the Lighting of the National Christmas Tree to be held on December 4th. First come, first served.

I had no idea how early I needed to get there, so we headed out at 5:45 and were there by 6:00. I was a little panicked when I saw a long line of tents and sleeping bags and realized that the line had started last night. I made my way to the end of the line and was given a number by a National Park Service employee. Relief. I'd get tickets.

Rich went for coffee and hot chocolate at a nearby Starbucks and we had a great time chatting with people in line. Even though they wouldn't start handing out tickets until 8:00, by 7:00 they were already turning people away. It was so incredibly organized. By handing out numbers they knew just at what point they'd run out of tickets, so there was no use having people stand in line only to be turned away.

They opened the ticket windows at 8:00 on the dot, we had our tickets by 8:15 and were on our way home. Even though we don't switch our clocks back until tonight, I think I'll use that extra hour right now. <yawn>

No comments:

Post a Comment